As soup season creeps up, I suddenly urge to share my delicious tomato soup recipe. It is smooth and creamy and may be your family’s new favorite soup this season. It is packed with roasted tomatoes, garlic, onion, and some dried herbs splashed with a creamy roux to take this soup to new levels. My kids expect this soup with a side of a stringy grilled cheese sandwich—comfort food with good nutrients for a balanced meal.
Why we love this soup and why you will too:
This meal is created entirely from scratch using whole-food ingredients. It is a well-balanced and comforting dish that can be prepared in just over 30 minutes. The versatile recipe can be easily modified to fit a vegetarian or vegan diet by swapping the broth, cheese, and milk. Even picky eaters will love this dish – it has their stamp of approval!
What you will need to make this tomato soup:
To make this creamy and velvety tomato bisque, you’ll need ingredients: those for roasting to build flavor, the creamy richness of the soup, and the grilled cheese to accompany the soup.
You’ll need tomatoes for the roasted vegetables, the dish’s star. You can use different types such as heart house, Romano, cherry, vine-ripened tomatoes, or any other type you like. You’ll also need red onion, peeled and roughly chopped, and garlic, which adds a great flavor to the soup without overpowering it. You’ll need salt, black pepper, basil, and oregano for seasonings. If your kids don’t like the speckles of seasoning, it’s better to opt out of the seasoning altogether, except for the salt. Lastly, you’ll need olive oil to prevent the vegetables from burning. Although good-quality olive oil is recommended, you can use avocado, ghee, or coconut oil.
For the creamy roux, you’ll need a combination of butter and olive oil, flour to thicken the roux, and milk of your choice. You can use 2% whole or plant-based milk, such as coconut milk. Adding grated parmesan or sharp cheddar cheese is highly recommended.
For the grilled cheese, you’ll need bread, and sourdough bread is the best option. However, you can use any bread your family enjoys, such as rye or wholewheat. For stringy cheesiness, you’ll also need white cheddar cheese, the main cheese, and mozzarella. Finally, you’ll need butter to fry the grilled cheese. Using grass-fed butter is recommended.
How to make it:
- To make this delicious tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich, you’ll need to preheat your oven to 450°C and prepare a tray with parchment paper.
- Then, wash and cut your tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add two tablespoons of olive oil and roast them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Keep a close eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, melt butter and a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan. Add two tablespoons of flour and stir until combined. Then, add ½ cup of milk and stir until a roux is formed. You can also add parmesan cheese for extra flavor. This should only take a few minutes. Remove from heat.
- Next, blend the roasted tomato mixture, chicken or vegetable stock, and roux in a high-speed blender until smooth. Pour the blended mixture into a pot and allow the soup to simmer.
- For the grilled cheese sandwich, shred some cheese and add a knob of butter to a frying pan. Allow the pan to heat up, then add one slice of bread to the pan. Add grated cheese and place the second slice of bread on top. Fry on medium-low heat, flipping the sandwich until both sides reach a nice golden-brown color, and the cheese is melted.
- Enjoy your delicious tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich!
After putting in all the hard work, take a moment to sit down and enjoy a warm and comforting meal on a chilly day. It’s a dish that will nourish your soul and satisfy the hunger of your loved ones. Based on my experience, this meal is an all-rounder that everyone can enjoy. If you have already tried this recipe, please feel free to rate and comment below to help others benefit from it and other recipes by My Picky Eater.