A creamy tomato soup that kids will love, served with a side of sourdough grilled cheese. Easily made vegan.
8–10 tomatoes (5 cups) quartered
3 cloves garlic
1 medium red onion or 1/2 large
2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup of milk
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon flour or gluten-free flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan (optional)
8 slices of sourdough bread
1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat your oven to 450°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes, onions and garlic and place them on the prepared tray. Drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil over the vegetables and roast them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Keep an eye on them to avoid burning.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, melt some butter and one tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan. Add two tablespoons of flour and stir until combined. Add ½ cup of milk and keep stirring until a roux is formed. For extra flavor, you can also add parmesan cheese to the roux. This should only take a few minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the roasted tomato mixture, chicken or vegetable stock, and roux. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the blended soup into a pot and let it simmer.
- To make the grilled cheese, shred some cheese and add a knob of butter to a frying pan. Once the pan is heated, place one slice of bread in the pan. Add grated cheese on top and place another slice of bread on top of the cheese. Fry on medium-low heat, flipping the sandwich until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Enjoy your homemade roasted tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches!
Leftovers can be placed in a container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers by warming up in a saucepan on medium meat.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven, stovetop
Keywords: tomato, soup, grilled cheese, tomato bisque