One pot, 5 ingredient chicken and rice dish perfect for the whole family. A balanced, flavorful meal using staple ingredients that can be whipped up in 30 minutes. Convert chicken, basmati rice, carrots, and onion into a delicious meal. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or anytime of day.
- 2 small chicken breasts or 5 chicken drumsticks without skin
- 1 cup of organic basmati rice
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots
- 3–5 cups of water
- 2 tbsp. good quality vegetable oil (grapeseed, avocado)
- Seasoning to taste (salt/pepper)
- Wash peel and dice onion. Wash peel and grate carrots.
- Rinse rice under cold water and set aside.
- Turn stovetop on medium low. In Dutch oven add 1 tablespoon of oil add onion and cook for a few minutes until they are translucent, mixing periodically to ensure the onion does not burn.
- Add raw chicken breast and additional tablespoon of oil. Allow for chicken to brown and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add grated carrots and stir.
- Add the rinsed rice and stir everything well. Add 3-5 cups of water (liquid should be covering the pots content) but be sure not to add too much liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, mixing every 5 or so minutes.
- Once rice is cooked through, turn stovetop off, remove chicken, using a fork, pull chicken apart and add back into pot. Mix rice and chicken well and your meal is ready to eat.
- If you require more liquid to cook the rice through, add water.
- You can use chicken thighs or chicken breast; if you use chicken breast, add 1 more tbs of oil so that the chicken wont dry out.
- Meal Prep Tip: wash, peel and dice onion ahead of time (up to a day before) and store in the fridge in an airtight container. Do the same with grated carrots to speed up your cooking time.
- You can additional vegetables to this dish such as steamed cauliflower, frozen peas, steamed broccoli florets.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: Easy chicken and rice recipe, ploff, kid friendly rice, fluffy rice, carrot fried rice, chicken and carrot fried rice