The most delectable one ingredient homemade cottage cheese. Smooth texture, rich in nutrients and high in protein, this cottage cheese can be eaten on its own or added to many recipes.
- 2l plain kefir
- Preheat oven to 400°C. Place kefir in oven safe pot and close lid. Once temperature is reached, place pot of kefir with closed lid inside and turn oven off.
- Leave the pot inside oven (off) overnight – roughly 12-15 hours.
- Prepare a colander with 4 layers of cheese cloth long enough for mixture to be poured in the sink or larger bowl.
- Pour content within pot (you will see a separation between the cheese curd and whey liquid). Gather the sides of your cheese cloth and form it into a ball.
- Place cheese ball and colander into a larger bowl and into fridge for a few hours for additional liquid to drip out.
- After 2-3 hours your cottage cheese is ready. Remove it from the cheese cloth and place into an airtight container.
- You should expect to have a little bit of liquid remaining in the final cottage cheese – if you leave it in the colander for longer in the final step, the less moisture is in the cheese and dryer it becomes. If you are looking for a dry cottage cheese (bakers’ cheese) you can keep in the colander for a few additional hours.
- You can reuse cheese cloth by washing it with soap and water and hang drying.
- Cottage cheese is fresh for about 7 days in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 hours
- Category: Breakfast