This crispy potato leek recipe is an easy and delicious side dish or lunchbox favorite. Baked not fried and so flavorful. A fall favorite and picky eater approved.
- 1 large potato
- 2 leeks
- 1 cup of cheese (1/2c white cheddar cheese, 1/2c mozzarellas)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs all-purpose flour
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Seasoning – salt, pepper
- Boil potato in a pot of water until fork tender. Let cool, peel potato skin, and shred on a fine grate.
- Wash leeks well, slice down the middle twice, and chop the leek’s white and light green parts. Sauté the leeks on medium-low heat with 1 and ½ tablespoons olive oil. This should take about 7-10 minutes.
- In a bowl, add grated potato, add sautéed leek, egg, 3 tablespoons of flour, and seasoning (salt and pepper). Mix until combined.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into flat patties, about 1 inch thick.
- Spray or brush patties with the remaining 1 and ½ tablespoons of olive oil and put into a preheated 400°F oven for 17-20 minutes until golden brown, flipping halfway.
- Once baked through, place crisps on a cooling rack, this step gets those leek potato crisps even crunchier.
- Eat and enjoy with your favorite dip or sour cream.
- Boil the potato the day before and place it in the fridge once cooled for quicker and easier handling.
- If you don’t have 2 different kinds of cheese, you can use 1 cup of your favorite hard cheese. Or can make this dairy-free by opting out of the cheese.
- Don’t throw away the green part of the leek, you can add it to a homemade vegetable or chicken broth recipe. If you are not making soup that day, place it in the freezer in a freezer bag until a further date.
- These patties are best eaten warm but stay fresh for up to 2 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Warm up by placing it in a toaster oven for a few minutes. Store in the freezer for up to one week.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner, Snack
- Method: Oven, stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: potato leek, potato latkes, potato patties