Have you ever thought about making homemade crackers? Trust me, this recipe is so simple and delicious, it’ll make you want to start baking your crackers all the time. It’s super easy, and you’ll only need 6 ingredients. Plus, it’s packed with protein and fiber, so it’s a healthy option too! If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also add cheddar cheese, sesame seeds, and extra salt flakes for additional flavor. But even plain, they’re delicious!
What is it:
This recipe is for a crispy, thin cracker made with chickpeas, quick-cooking oats, olive oil, lemon, garlic, and salt. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. The flaky texture comes together with the chickpeas and oat blended with the addition of olive oil to create a dough-like consistency. Use a food processor to combine the ingredients in minutes and roll out the cracker dough onto a baking sheet. Shape your crackers before popping them into the oven for 40 minutes and you have the best high-protein crackers for your entire family but especially for your picky eaters.
What you’ll need:
You will need 6 simple ingredients for this chickpea cracker recipe:
- One can of chickpeas
- One cup of quick-cooking oats
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and or additional seeds and spices
How to make:
To make these crackers, you will need a food processor. Begin by opening a 390g can of chickpeas, rinsing, and drying them. Add them to the food processor and pulse until broken up. Next, add the remaining ingredients and process until a dough-like consistency is achieved. Add your dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Press down to flatten the dough and use a rolling pin to further flatten the dough to 5mm in thickness. Strip the top parchment paper, and create fun shapes by using cookie cutters. If you want to keep it simple and quick, use a pizza cutter to cut out square crackers. Once shapes are made, poke holes into each shape using a fork. Bake in a preheated oven for 40 minutes, keeping a close eye on the last 10 minutes, making sure the cracker does not burn. Remove from oven, break apart cracker pieces and enjoy.
Ways your family can enjoy these crispy crackers:
- Crackers and cheese
- Add to lunch boxes
- An after-school snack with sliced apples
- Dip in peanut butter or other nut and seed butters
- Dip in hummus and other dips
- Serve with soup
- On their own
Are you and your kids looking for a fun kitchen activity? Give these homemade crackers a try! They’re simple to make and delicious; your kids will love them. Plus, they’re a healthy snack option. All you need is a food processor to combine the ingredients quickly and roll out the dough onto a baking sheet. They can shape them and play around with the dough as they wish and if they happen to try the dough, you don’t need to worry, the dough is edible with no raw ingredients. Give it a try and let me know how it turns out for you and your little ones. Happy baking!
Whether you decide to get your kids involved in making this recipe or not, I hope you give it a try! If you do please comment and rate the recipe below or share your creation on Instagram by tagging: @my_picky_eater. Can’t wait to see your creations! 😊
Crispy Chickpea Crackers
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 20 1x
Introducing a delicious cracker recipe suitable for babies 6 months and over. These crackers are perfect as a teething biscuit, an after-school snack, or a lunchbox favorite. They’re gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and packed with protein and fiber. Making them is easy and requires just a few simple ingredients. Perfect for busy parents looking for a healthy snack option for their kids. Give it a try and discover a new family favorite snack.
- 1 can organic chickpeas, drained (390ml)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 360°C (180°F).
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas for 5-10 seconds.
- Add the oats, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and salt to the food processor and process until dough-like ball forms, about 20-30 seconds.
- Place the dough on a lined baking sheet and press it down with your hands. Place a second sheet of parchment paper on top and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to a thickness of 5mm.
- Use cookie cutters or a pizza cutter to cut the dough into cracker shapes. Use a fork to prick holes in the center of each cracker.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the crackers cool on the baking sheet. Break into individual crackers and enjoy.
- Save any scraps and use them as croutons.
- Store in an airtight container or Ziplock bag for up to a week.
- The dough can be frozen for up to 1 month.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Snack, lunch
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crispy cracker, chickpea cracker, oat cracker, healthy cracker, homemade cracker, simple cracker