Do your kids instantly reject broccoli or any vegetable in the same color scheme? If so, I have the perfect recipe to help change their mind. These broccoli bites are so delicious, and they can convert any broccoli hater into a broccoli lover in just one bite!
What I love about this broccoli bite, besides the health benefits, and my kids love them, is that they are easy and quick to make. To speed things up, I use a food processor, but you can certainly use a knife to get the job done, I’ll share more below.
To get started, cut and wash two heads of broccoli. Steam broccoli for about a minute and blanch, I just run the steamed broccoli under cold water to stop the cooking process. Next, add your broccoli to a food processor along with grated cheddar cheese, egg, panko crumbs and flour. You could season with salt and pepper but since the cheese has quite a bit of flavor you can skip this part to keep sodium low. If you are not using a food processor, you will finely chop your cooked broccoli and mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
Next, shape the broccoli mixture into 1 inch bite size tots and place on baking tray. You can also make these in a muffin tray. Spray your bites with good quality vegetable oil or olive oil and pop into the oven for 18 minutes, flipping halfway.
Want to meal prep? You can make these ahead and freeze them raw for an anticipated rush day. If you go this route, I recommend shaping them, freezing on a tray lined with parchment paper for a few hours, then transfer bites to a freezer safe bag once they are set. Be sure to check out my handy Your Guide to Freezing article for helpful tips on how to freeze efficiently.
A few other alternatives to these delicious bites include making them gluten free. To do that, replace flour to almond flour and panko to gluten free panko crumbs. You can also change or add the type of cheese you use. I really like the flavor of the sharp white cheddar cheese so that is typically my go-to, but you can certainly use grated Mozzarella, Jarlsberg, Feta, or any other hard cheese.
Try these delicious cheddar broccoli bites. They can convert a broccoli hater to a broccoli lover! Great for baby-led weening, toddler finger food, or family snack that can be enjoyed by all. Hope you enjoy!Print
Cheddar Broccoli Bites
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 24 mini bites 1x
The perfect blend of broccoli, cheddar cheese, panko and egg to make this easy hand-held finger food. Make this a snack or side dish. An excellent first food for baby-led-weening.
- 2 heads of broccoli (roughly 2 cups)
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of panko crumbs
- 2 tbs of flour (all purpose or wholewheat)
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Cut broccoli into florets, wash and steam for 1 minute. Blanch steamed broccoli to stop the cooking process.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a food processor, add steamed broccoli, panko, flour, grated cheese, egg, and seasoning. Don’t season if you are making this for babies to limit sodium. Pulse for a few seconds until well combined and broccoli is finely chopped.
- Line a tray with parchment paper, make 1-inch broccoli tots and place on tray. Spray or drizzle your bites with olive oil or good quality vegetable oil.
- Bake for 18 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Cool and serve.
- You can shape and freeze broccoli bites raw and save them for a busy day.
- Can be gluten free by swapping flour to almond flour and panko to gluten free kind.
- Stays fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 12 Minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Snack