A simpler, lighter, kid-friendly version of cheddar broccoli soup. Perfect for soup season and a great way to serve broccoli to little ones. Swapping to vegetable stock and switching to plant-based milk and cheese can easily be vegetarian or vegan. This comforting soup is ready in less than an hour and is perfect for those cold winter days.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1–2 tbsp oil (avocado or grapeseed oil)
- 5 c of chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 c broccoli florets (about 2 heads – fresh or frozen)
- 1 c sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c milk or cream (or half in half)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, peel, and chop carrots, onion, and celery. In a large pot add oil and sauté chopped vegetables on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, stirring.
- Once vegetables are cooked, add 1½ tablespoons of flour. Stir until the flour is well incorporated and slowly add chicken or vegetable broth.
- Stir and add washed and cut broccoli florets. Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes until broccoli is cooked through.
- Use a hand-held immersion blender or carefully transfer soup into a blender and blend soup until smooth. Add back to the pot and add seasoning, milk, or cream, and one cup of grated white cheddar cheese.
- Soup is ready for serving.
- An immersion blender does a great job in blending the soup but if you want the puree the soup with no signs of broccoli chunks, it is best to use a blender.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
- Freeze by storing in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months, thaw, and reheat on the stovetop.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: broccoli cheddar soup, soup, broccoli soup, cream soup