A natural immune-boosting syrup is a must when you have kids and are entering cold and flu season. This 3-ingredient recipe of lemon, red onion, and granulated sugar is all you need to create this natural remedy. You can make as little or as much as you like and be ready quickly. Storing in the fridge for 3 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
- 3 whole medium red onions (500g)
- 4 whole lemons (500g)
- 1 c granulated sugar (200g)
- Wash lemons and slice horizontally. Peel the top layer of red onions and slice horizontally.
- Measure out 1 cup of sugar.
- In a large bowl, layer the lemon, red onion, and sugar (like a lasagna), repeating each layer until there are no ingredients left.
- Seal the mixture using a lid or saran wrap. Place on the counter for 24 hours.
- Next, take a large bowl and a sieve, throw in the juice mixture, and allow it to drip. You should make about 2-3 cups of juice.
- Place juice in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or freeze into cubes for up to three months and thaw as needed.
- Storing: Juice in a jar needs to be in the fridge
- Defrosting: take a cube and defrost it as needed. Lasts in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- This natural homemade syrup is not to replace any doctor’s recommendation but instead, help build your family’s immune system and hopefully prevent them from bad colds and flu.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 24 hours
- Category: natural remedy
Keywords: syrup, lemon syrup, red onion, cough syrup, immune boosting syrup